when i was pregnant, i couldn't wait to meet elias. i counted down the days until his arrival and then when he got here, i prayed for time to be kind and not run away from me. strangers, family members, friends would tell me, "enjoy it now", "soak up these moments", "they grow up so fast" and boy, they weren't kidding. elias will be 14 months soon and i still feel like i just had him. is that weird? i'm having a difficult time grasping the fact that my once newborn baby is now entering toddler-hood with a personality, likes, dislikes, favorite foods and preferences. this day came so fast.
but that's how life has been since elias arrived. fast. the days turn to weeks, then months and it's all felt like the bigest blur. maybe it's because half of that time was spent on home renovations or maybe i'm just so sleep deprived that all the days run together. or maybe this is just how life is with kids. i don't know.
anyway, dave and i very much want to have more children and have been discussing when we'd like to add another baby to our clan. with that conversation taking place, i'm finding myself feeling extremely anxious and desperate to try to remember life with just elias. afterall, he's my first born and once we have more babies, life with just 1 will never exist again (which is totally not a bad thing.. just different). i want to remember all his quirks, mannerisms, silly + funny noises, faces, etc. i know it isn't possible to remember it all, but goly, i'd like to try. that's why i created this space to begin with. so today, i'm sharing a few things about elias that you may not know. the list is a mix of things he's saying/doing/loving, as well as just general facts about where elias is right now developmentally.
so here we go!
1. at almost 14 months old, elias loves to nurse and i can't bear to take that from him anytime soon. it soothes him, helps get him through any little bug he may have, puts him to sleep, eases any physical pain he may be feeling and calms him when he's all out of sorts. i knew from the beginning that i would breastfeed and my ultimate goal was a year. 14 months in, i thought i would be weaning, but i'm not, nor am i planning to anytime soon. i used to be the one who'd say + think, "breastfeeding a toddler? no.. that's just weird." but now i totally get it. and i take back ever thinking or saying the things i did. elias just loves his mama time and i'm perfectly okay with that.
2. he has never, not once slept through the night. he still wakes every few hours and needs to be rocked or nursed back to sleep. this makes me one very tired mama, but i just tell myself, "this is a phase".. a very long phase, but a phase, nonetheless. i also remind myself that there has to be a reason behind his waking. in the beginning it was simply because he was young, hungry, still developing- then he started teething and hasn't really stopped since. right now he's at 15 teeth. 15! we're keeping our fingers crossed that we'll all get a break soon and once they're through, he'll sleep better. but even if he doesn't, i know that he will soon enough.
3. speaking of sleeping, his favorite position to sleep is on his stomach with his arms tucked up underneath him and his butt up in the air. it's the sweetest.
4. elias is also really, really good at climbing stairs right now. the other day, dave was showering upstairs and i was downstairs (with elias). i turned my back for ONE second and elias was gone. suddenly, i heard tiny footsteps above me, then heard dave say, "hey dude!" elias had climbed all the way up the stairs and walked in to the bathroom where dave was. i ran up the stairs, half hollering, "HE JUST CLIMBED THE STAIRS BY HIMSELF!" we got a baby gate soon after. little turkey.
5. elias is absolutely obsessed with water. which is why i think he got up the stairs as fast as he did, because he heard the shower running. he won't sit in the tub anymore for bath time. instead, he stands in front of the faucet and holds his hands under the running water. he also knows how to turn the tub on in mine and dave's bathroom. when i'm drying my hair, he'll run straight to the tub and turn the water on full blast and laugh hysterically. he also gets soaking wet when he does this, which is even funnier to him.
5. he currently has this fake laugh that kinda, sorta sounds like an evil villian laugh. if he does it and you laugh at him, he'll keep doing it over and over, like he knows he's being funny. it's one of my favorite things he does and i really need to get it on video before he grows out of it.
6. when he nurses, he touches my face and neck with his hands and sometimes plays with my hair. he'll wrap his arm around my neck and pulls himself closer to me. his little touch is so sweet and gentle. it melts me to my core and is another reason why i just can't give up nursing anytime soon.
7. he loves being outside. the past few days have been sunny and slightly warmer compared to last week, so we've ventured outside for some vitamin d and fresh air. you don't realize how desperate you are for sunshine until those few warm days after winter... every time we step foot outside, he takes off. he loves walking down our sidewalk and when he gets going, he swings just one of his arms from side to side and will sorta strut around. if you try to veer him in a specific direction, he'll push your hand away. boy does NOT want to be helped or told where to go. and i don't blame him. so many times he's made to do what we want to do. go where we go. leave when we leave. sit in a car seat or a shopping cart. so to just be in nature, coming and going as you please has to be the best feeling for a little 14 month old. oh the sounds, smells and sights. i love to watch him and let him invite me in to his world. one day last week, when dave got off work, we all went outside. elias noticed birds in the sky. a huge flock flew overhead, he pointed and said, "OH!" and formed his mouth into a little circle. he looked at me as if he were thinking, "did you see that, mom??"
8. when dave and i hug each other, elias will run up and grab both of our legs and hug us at the same time. he pats his hand on our legs and makes a sound as if he is saying, "aww". ugh. such a heart breaker. sometimes he'll even grab my face just to give me a kiss or wrap his arms around my neck to hug me. it's my absolute favorite thing that he does. i was told that little boys were the sweetest, and i truly believe they are.
9. he loves, loves, loves books. he'll walk in his room to his shelf, pick out a book, sit down and thumb through the pages. he points at the characters and rambles on and on as if he's reading the words. he'll do this to every book until they are scattered all over his floor. every night before bed, i tell him to pick out a book for me to read him and every night he goes to his shelf and pulls out the 3 daniel tiger books he has and brings them to me. then he climbs up in my lap and we rock and read. the former teacher and bookworm in me loves this quality about him. i have my fingers crossed that he'll continue to love books as he grows.
10. he loves dave's tools + watching him work, he blows kisses bye, he says "dog" which sounds more like "doh!", he eats anything and everything, but his favorites are strawberries, veggie soup, oatmeal and bread. he likes to help unload the dishwasher + washer/dryer, he understandscommands like, "get your water" and "tickle daddy". he hugs toby + calls for toby, he plays peek a boo, he tries to put on his own socks + shoes, he loves curious george and hates blankets. he loves playing with other kids, he makes the silliest noises, he laughs, dances, gives the biggest hugs and most slobberiest kisses. he's the happiest, sweetest, most gentle soul i have ever met and i sure am happy he's mine.
okay.. so there towards the end, i listed more than 10 things, but i couldn't help it. he's doing so much and growing so fast, i just had to include more. :)